Randomized Controlled Trial J Med Assoc Thai
. 2012 Dec;95 Suppl 12:S76-82.
Efficacy of fresh lime for smoking cessation
- PMID: 23513469
Objective: To determine the efficacy of fresh lime as a smoking cessation aid compared with nicotine gum.
Material and method: A randomized, controlled trial was conducted between March 2009 and September 2009. Only regular smokers aged 18 or older who were willing to quit were randomized to receive either fresh lime (n = 47) or nicotine gum (n = 53). Smokers were excluded if they were using other smoking cessation aids, allergic to citrus, or had dental problems. Exhaled carbon monoxide (CO)-confirmed continuous abstinence rate (CAR) during week 9-12 was measured as the primary outcomes. To grade the severity of craving, a 100-mm visual analogue scale (VAS) was used.
Results: There was no significant difference in CO-confirmed CAR between the fresh lime group and the nicotine gum group during weeks 9-12 (61.7% vs. 66.0%; p = 0.65), although 7-day point prevalence abstinence at week 4 of the fresh lime users was statistically significant lower than those using nicotine gum (38.3% vs. 58.5%; p = 0.04). Cravings did not differ significantly between the groups, although fresh lime users tend to report more cravings intensity.
Conclusion: Fresh lime can be used effectively as a smoking cessation aid, although not as good as nicotine gum in reducing cravings.
- Safety and efficacy of the nicotine patch and gum for the treatment of adolescent tobacco addiction.Moolchan ET, Robinson ML, Ernst M, Cadet JL, Pickworth WB, Heishman SJ, Schroeder JR.Pediatrics. 2005 Apr;115(4):e407-14. doi: 10.1542/peds.2004-1894.PMID: 15805342 Clinical Trial.
- A review of the efficacy of smoking-cessation pharmacotherapies in nonwhite populations.Robles GI, Singh-Franco D, Ghin HL.Clin Ther. 2008 May;30(5):800-12. doi: 10.1016/j.clinthera.2008.05.010.PMID: 18555928 Review.
- Effect of nicotine polyestex gum on smoking cessation and quality of life.Rungruanghiranya S, Ekpanyaskul C, Hattapornsawan Y, Tundulawessa Y.J Med Assoc Thai. 2008 Nov;91(11):1656-62.PMID: 19127785 Clinical Trial.
- Quitting by gradual smoking reduction using nicotine gum: a randomized controlled trial.Shiffman S, Ferguson SG, Strahs KR.Am J Prev Med. 2009 Feb;36(2):96-104.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2008.09.039.PMID: 19135903 Clinical Trial.
- A single-blind, randomized, crossover trial of the effects of a nicotine pouch on the relief of tobacco withdrawal symptoms and user satisfaction.Thornley S, McRobbie H, Lin RB, Bullen C, Hajek P, Laugesen M, Senior H, Whittaker R.Nicotine Tob Res. 2009 Jun;11(6):715-21. doi: 10.1093/ntr/ntp054. Epub 2009 May 19.PMID: 19454549 Clinical Trial.