Journal of Nurtition 2016 Feb;146(2):416S-421S. doi: 10.3945/jn.114.202333. Epub 2016 Jan 13.
Garlic and Heart Disease
- PMID: 26764327
- DOI: 10.3945/jn.114.202333
Background: Thousands of studies have been published based on animal and human studies evaluating garlic’s effects and safety.
Objective: We reviewed the available literature investigating the effects of garlic supplements on hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, C-reactive protein (CRP), pulse wave velocity (PWV), and coronary artery calcium (CAC), as well as available data on side effects.
Methods: We searched PubMed for all human studies using medical subject heading words through 30 May 2013 and assessed relevant review articles and original studies. Only double-blind, randomized, controlled trials and meta-analyses of double-blind, randomized, controlled trials were included. The review of articles and data extraction were performed by 2 independent authors, with any disagreements resolved by consensus.
Results: Garlic supplementation reduced blood pressure by 7-16 mm Hg (systolic) and 5-9 mm Hg (diastolic) (4 meta-analyses and 2 original studies). It reduced total cholesterol by 7.4-29.8 mg/dL (8 meta-analyses). The most consistent benefits were shown in studies that used aged garlic extract (AGE). A few small studies that used AGE also showed favorable effects on CAC, CRP, and PWV. Although garlic is generally safe, rare adverse reactions have been documented with limited causality established.
Conclusion: We conclude that garlic supplementation has the potential for cardiovascular protection based on risk factor reduction (hypertension and total cholesterol) and surrogate markers (CRP, PWV, and CAC) of atherosclerosis. Larger studies are warranted to evaluate these effects further.
Keywords: atherosclerosis; cholesterol; garlic; heart disease; hypertension; treatment.
© 2016 American Society for Nutrition.
- Garlic Lowers Blood Pressure in Hypertensive Individuals, Regulates Serum Cholesterol, and Stimulates Immunity: An Updated Meta-analysis and Review.Ried K.J Nutr. 2016 Feb;146(2):389S-396S. doi: 10.3945/jn.114.202192. Epub 2016 Jan 13.PMID: 26764326 Review.
- Effect of garlic on blood pressure: a meta-analysis.Wang HP, Yang J, Qin LQ, Yang XJ.J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2015 Mar;17(3):223-31. doi: 10.1111/jch.12473. Epub 2015 Jan 5.PMID: 25557383
- An umbrella review of garlic intake and risk of cardiovascular disease.Schwingshackl L, Missbach B, Hoffmann G.Phytomedicine. 2016 Oct 15;23(11):1127-33. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2015.10.015. Epub 2015 Nov 14.PMID: 26656227 Review.
- Aged garlic extract supplemented with B vitamins, folic acid and L-arginine retards the progression of subclinical atherosclerosis: a randomized clinical trial.Budoff MJ, Ahmadi N, Gul KM, Liu ST, Flores FR, Tiano J, Takasu J, Miller E, Tsimikas S.Prev Med. 2009 Aug-Sep;49(2-3):101-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2009.06.018. Epub 2009 Jun 30.PMID: 19573556 Clinical Trial.
- Effect of garlic on serum lipids: an updated meta-analysis.Ried K, Toben C, Fakler P.Nutr Rev. 2013 May;71(5):282-99. doi: 10.1111/nure.12012. Epub 2013 Mar 7.PMID: 23590705 Review.
Cited by 17 articles
- Dietary Thiols: A Potential Supporting Strategy against Oxidative Stress in Heart Failure and Muscular Damage during Sports Activity.Brancaccio M, Mennitti C, Cesaro A, Fimiani F, Moscarella E, Caiazza M, Gragnano F, Ranieri A, D’Alicandro G, Tinto N, Mazzaccara C, Lombardo B, Pero R, Limongelli G, Frisso G, Calabrò P, Scudiero O.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020 Dec 16;17(24):9424. doi: 10.3390/ijerph17249424.PMID: 33339141 Free PMC article. Review.
- Opinions on the current pandemic of COVID-19: Use functional food to boost our immune functions.Han B, Hoang BX.J Infect Public Health. 2020 Dec;13(12):1811-1817. doi: 10.1016/j.jiph.2020.08.014. Epub 2020 Sep 10.PMID: 32948484 Free PMC article. Review.
- Chemical Constituents and Pharmacological Activities of Garlic (Allium sativum L.): A Review.El-Saber Batiha G, Magdy Beshbishy A, G Wasef L, Elewa YHA, A Al-Sagan A, Abd El-Hack ME, Taha AE, M Abd-Elhakim Y, Prasad Devkota H.Nutrients. 2020 Mar 24;12(3):872. doi: 10.3390/nu12030872.PMID: 32213941 Free PMC article. Review.
- Antiatherosclerosis Properties of Total Saponins of Garlic in Rats.Miao Q, Wang R, Bai D, Xue X, Xu J, Sun X, Liu L.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2020 Feb 27;2020:3683659. doi: 10.1155/2020/3683659. eCollection 2020.PMID: 32190081 Free PMC article.
- Bioactive components from garlic on brain resiliency against neuroinflammation and neurodegeneration.Song H, Cui J, Mossine VV, Greenlief CM, Fritsche K, Sun GY, Gu Z.Exp Ther Med. 2020 Feb;19(2):1554-1559. doi: 10.3892/etm.2019.8389. Epub 2019 Dec 27.PMID: 32010338 Free PMC article. Review.