We have all heard so much about COVID-19 from all levels of government throughout the globe. Incessant chatter it would seem. In my next serialized novel “Virus #26” you’ll witness my take on politics and COVID-19.
The full impact of COVID-19 on us as individuals, on society, on the medical establishment and on the political and ideological system may not be really known or understood for decades. But as a political scientist I can assure you universities will be crammed with COVIDolitics, COVID psychology, COVID history and on and on. Hundreds of books will be written of an academic nature on COVID–19 and perhaps even more encompassing and of value on Plagueolitics.
COVID-19 is just the current plague but there has been bubonic plague, Swine Flu, Spanish Flu, SARS, MERS and many more to come as humankind destroys its ecosystem so it may very well destroy itself.
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I did not pursue a career in academia. But perhaps there is time to obtain a PHD and MA in political science and teach it at some esteemed university? Of course, I am opening to receiving an honorary doctorate in political science and teach my new course “Plagueolitics 101”.
Here is my outline;
- A brief history of humankind plagues
- The politics of each plague
- The role of government in each plague
- The formation of the politico-medico elite
- The role of politico-medico propaganda
- The erosion of democratic rights
- Did the media inform the populace or brainwash it
- Was the scientific community subject to repression and censorship?
- The glorification of “plague fighters”
- The inaccuracies of the politico-medico party line
- How Big Pharma exploited the various later day plagues
- What the plagues teach us about the past and how to avoid mistakes in the future
- Who are the true heroes and villains?